Have you found any use for storyboards?

MooiFlieks.Com

I know storyboards are a good way to visualize your film beforehand.

However, I've never actually used it during any production. I find them unnecessary and a waste of valuable time, when the script will do just fine, accompanied by a creative cameraman/director who can think up cool shots from cool angles on the fly.

Have you found any use for a storyboard other than wasting some valuable time?

Kim Welch

Staff member
We had a class and I have talked with professional cinematographers who have told me they can be very useful in many ways especially in organization, doing stunts and the timing of shots.

Wolf DeVoon

MooiFlieks.Com;n11091 said:
... the script will do just fine, accompanied by a creative cameraman/director who can think up cool shots from cool angles on the fly.
Storyboarding a commercial, absolutely (900 frames). Storyboarding a music video? - yep, did it in Sydney. "Cool angles on the fly" -- certainly not on a feature film.

TheFancyClassic

Well it's true in some cases. I got the shoot where we had storyboard in advance, but then the shot was totally different from what was visualized in storyboard, cause' director and camera men had different ideas, tried new angle or wanted to shoot more shots. But I still think storyboard is necessary, it helps to shorten the set up, and especially reduce post production time. For some frames needed 3D creation or special effect then it's good to have agreement before hand with everyone, we won't waste time in creating something they don't want.

Kim Welch

Staff member
I have decided to make a storyboard forum for storyboards and also thinking about doing a storyboard contest. Have a great day!