Kodak B & W Reversal

wendja85

Hey guys,

I am shooting a film in Kodak Tri-X Reversal in two weeks (fyi, its rated 200D 160T). I was wondering if anyone here has shot w/ this stock and any problems or issues I may encounter. Also, if you could tell me the advantages/disadvantages associated with it.

I am shooting all indoor, in two rooms flooded with daylight and one dark room lit w/ 1 halogen lightbulb. The parameters of my project is that I have to use available light.

thanks!

wendy

It's very high in contrast, so you have to nail the exposures. In fact, it can make a light-toned subject look overexposed and a dark-toned subject look underexposed, so you have to cheat a little for those. For example, I once shot on b&w reversal for an insert of some white tennis shoes or a bowl of cereal w/ milk and had to slightly underexpose those shots to hold detail in the whites.

wendja85

Thanks for the information!

I am thinking that the smaller latitude granted by B & W Reversal film may be to my advantage, I'm shooting a neo noir. What I'm thinking is i'll probably underexpose so it won't blow out details. And Mr. Mullen, were you referring to underexposing by rating it at a higher EI?

Also, what would the effects of skip bleach processing and of cross-processing on this stock of film?

wendja85

***ALSO

How would you get the most "dead on" exposure? Would I be trying to take the average light reading and expose towards that? Would this bring out the most significant contrast?

In a situation where I have a dark room lit by bright daylight, versus a situation where a room is lit by a fluorescent light should I manipulate the rating based on how the stock is rated? (i.e. 200 for daylight indoor, and 160 for tungsten indoor lighting conditions?)

Thank you for the VITAL information!