Simulating parallel shadows from remote light source

Udun

Hi all.

I'm a newbie here, and in general am unrelated to cinema or photography.
However, I do have a question that the folks here seem to be capable of answering.

I'd like to know whether it is possible to simulate in a studio lighting effects from extremely remote and powerful light source such as the Sun. In particular - parallel shadows, that are difficult to achieve if the light source is a point light source and not far away (the shadows would diverge).
The idea is to accurately simulate outdoor lighting conditions in a studio.

If it is at all possible, I'd like some simple tips, in laymen terms if you may, of how it may be achieved.

Thanks in advance and sorry for any bother.

Udun.

E

element80

Two lights, one for each object you want to cast the shadow, placed directly behind each object. Skinny up the barndoors so that the light only falls on the object it's meant for, and not the other one as well.

Generally you would use as strong a light from as far away as possible to get a sharp shadow, and where it would fall-off on the edges, you start the next light coming from a parallel angle. If the overlap is obvious because of the double shadows, you generally use large flags to separate the two lights, creating a momentary dark strip. To hide this, you may need a piece of art direction like a tree trunk to justify the dark area.

E

element80

a soft light would also help fill the darkness, but it would also take a bit out of the shadows. Experiment and see what works best for you.