"This New YouTube Channel Is a Free Masterclass in Film Editing"

ThisGuyEdits

I’m currently cutting a feature for Sundance filmmaker Mark Webber. My youtube channel is picking up a lot of traction right now, and I thought it’d be great for readers of this forum!

If you have a minute, check it out:
This Guy Edits - Youtube Channel

It was recently featured on several blogs including NOFILMSCHOOL, PREMIUMBEAT & POSTLINE. One of authors, Robert Hardy, had an interesting take on my videos. He writes...

"[...] the YouTube channel This Guy Edits will become your new favorite place on the internet.

This Guy Edits is the digital home of Sven Pape, a prolific editor whose credits include work for a few directors that you may have heard of like James Cameron, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and James Franco. Sven is currently in the process of cutting “Flesh & Blood,” a new feature from Sundance filmmaker Mark Webber, and he’s sharing the entire process (along with a bunch of great editing tips) on his channel.

Even though he’s only been posting these videos for a month or so, Sven has already created a magnificent resource for editors looking to improve their craft. Here are a few of my favorite videos he’s done so far:

[he lists more videos here... http://sumo.ly/iKRj]

[...] Anyhow, if you’re interested in following along as Sven cuts Flesh & Blood, you can subscribe to This Guy Edits on YouTube."

Kim Welch

Staff member
Another bump question for your advertisement post. What editing software do you use most?

ThisGuyEdits

thank you for your questions, Kim. I don't really have a software preference. Currently I'm cutting on FXPX. It's my first feature on that and I enjoy the speed and intuitive design. But I've down many projects on Avid or the old FCP 7 and I like those too. Avid has a very robust and precise feel to it.

In terms of creative process, I think Selecting is one of the most important parts of editing. Selecting is the creative process of deciding and organizing your shots/moments so that you have them available before you start editing.

Kim Welch

Staff member
I need content from people who know what they are talking about. Would you be interested in contributing both in the forums with a moderator status and for the magazine home page as a staff writer (contributor)?