Up-rez defined

G

Grainy

Hi folks - Can someone confirm this definition:
When people "uprez" a film, it means they take a film shot in one aspect ratio (4:3 for example), crop the image, and blow up the resulting (remaining) rectangular image so it fits into the 16:9 or 1:85 or whatever you want.
It doesn't actually mean improving the image somehow from SD quality to HD.
In fact, the labor comes into making the newly-blown up image look as good as the original.
So "HD" in this case doesn't actually mean HD, it means "the aspect ratio associated with HD."
Is this all correct?
thanks much!
G

grinner

Correct.
In movies, you often hear "zoom and enhance"
lol
Well, zooming is no problem but you can't just push a button and create information that doesn't exist.
I use After Effects for uprezing because my NLE is an Avid and just tears the hell out of images when doing anything in the DVE, especially scaling things up.
Down rezing aint nuthin but a thang though. And because there are so many quazi HD solutions in cameras, it's really a good idea to just shoot HD today. I do, even for SD projects. I'd rather look at letterboxed SD than a 4X3 square any day.

G

Grainy

Correct.
... it's really a good idea to just shoot HD today. I do, even for SD projects. I'd rather look at letterboxed SD than a 4X3 square any day.
Ah, makes sense.
I'm shooting super 8, which is 4x3 and not big enough, IMHO, to take a cropping. (And I like square -- call me old fashioned)
But I hate artifacts, which HD claims to provide less of than SD. So for a super 8 transfer to video, it seems to me the best thing to do is focus on the telecine capture ability rather than a solution to try and make a scallop look like a flounder.
thanks
G.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D General Forum 2
B Cinematography 4